On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Feeling Good

This weekend was wonderful. We had such a great ride together, and it is nice to be out with my parents who are among my closest friends. They are almost always up for some kind of new challenge! I'll go back and ride with them in a couple of weeks for a charity ride. I think my mom and I are going to try the 45 mile route, and my dad is going for the century (100 mile) route. That ride used to be our first ride of the year, but we've been pretty good this year about getting our miles in.

The weather was gorgeous! Blue skies and not even too much wind at the end. The area is beautiful so it is nice to be out in it.

What I think is best about it is that it's not exercise. It's simply pure fun with people whose company I enjoy. A few years ago, I suggested my mom and I ride the Bike Ride Across Georgia--400 miles in a week--and off we went! A huge, crazy challenge and there we were, riding through south Georgia in June. Ever since then, it's been easy to sign up for weekend rides here and there--and ride around in rural areas near their house.

On a completely different point, Marla had a post at some point, some where, about something (!) that discussed the idea that if you aren't disciplined enough to floss daily then you really weren't serious about your health in any respect--so why bother trying to start an exercise/fitness regime, because you aren't really committed to your health. That was a really interesting thought for me, and it turned over and over in my head. . .until I went out and bought dental floss. Yes, it hurt like the devil to chew anything for a few days, but now I have habituated my little teethies to flossing and it is pretty much part of my day now. Woohoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home