On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

1 Year!

Today is the one year anniversary of my blog! It's hard to believe that I have been here that long, but time seems to creep up on you like that. When I started out, I wanted this place to be a record of a more structured and disciplined life. It's fair to say that I'm not there yet. My first step on that journey was to work toward a healthy diet.

How have I done? Well, ok. I have stopped drinking sodas, and my water intake has increased dramatically. I started paying more attention to my diet, and learned that I needed to eat more dark green, leafy veggies and watch my sodium levels. Fitday has been a great tool.

Looking at my benchmarks, I have lost five pounds over the past year. That's been about on par for the previous two years after I gained a lot of stress weight from my first year in law school. I'm about the same weight I was before I started running that summer. I've lost four inches in my measurements in the past year. Using the same body fat calculator as I did in May, I have gone from 32% body fat to 30.88%. I am below average now, but still almost 9% higher than ideal.

Where could I go from here?

1. Recommit to recording my eating in fitday.
2. Plan my meals better, so I can keep my RDA's up, sodium down, and protein up.
3. Increase whole grain consumption, besides yummy oatmeal! Hello, brown rice.

I also want to be more active and fit.

1. Plan to exercise every morning.
2. Work on achieving my goal to run 10 miles in 2008.
3. Increase flexibility (backbend!).
4. Get serious about strength training.

Also, I need to increase the amount of sleep I am getting. Six hours of sleep is just not enough for me, and it makes it impossible to get out of bed to exercise.

I would like to thank all of you who have read my blog in the past year, as well as those who have written comments. I appreciate it!




1 Comments:

  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger Keebler said…

    Happy Anniversary!

    I noticed that you are planning to record your daily diet using Fitday. Certainly a great choice! I'm a big fan of Fitday, too. I also wanted to let you know that if you can't find something within Fitday, please check out my website, DietFacts.com. It has a ton of restaurant foods and name brand foods. I made it to help my father lose weight and track his carbs. I hope you find it useful too.

    Best of luck with your new exercise regime, with law school and everything else in your life!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home