On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Body image

It's strange. I usually don't feel like I'm overweight that much. I feel moderately overweight, like the graph on fitday says. I wear a size 10-12, depending on the store and the fit. I don't mind trying on clothes and I'm not tied to dress size.

But my friend sent me some pictures of us, taken recently, and my mental image does not match up with the objective reality. Or more objective reality. I am double chinned--which I don't ever see in the mirror, but which is always present in pictures no matter the angle. The tummy roll is present, but that doesn't really bother me. After all, it's dwarfed by my boobs.

I know that my face is a lot chubbier since I started grad school--I had to get a new id and the picture was SO different. Apparently I gained some of the 25 pounds in the past three years in my face.

Anyway, I've said here before that I'm really interested in being healthy and that weight loss is just a by-product. While I think that's true, I also really need to acknowledge that I would like to lose weight, and that it's not silly or shallow to do so. At the same time, that is just not my top priority. Mostly because I have no desire to diet or to exercise with the goal of losing weight. I love good real food. I also am learning to like sports because they are fun and not because it's exercise.

I also have no idea what weight I would be working toward. According to BMI, I would be in the healthy range starting at 146-149 (I'm not quite 5'5''). But the high end of the scale is for people with higher muscle mass and/or men, so I doubt that would actually be healthy for me. A mid-range BMI (21.5) would be from 125-130. I have a medium build.

Hmm, well I think that's all my ramblings for today. Nope, I forgot to add that I went grocery shopping and bought lots of healthy fruits and veggies for the next week and I made a huge pot of vegetable soup for lunches. AND I had veggie soup for lunch today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home