On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Friday, April 07, 2006

New Green Habits

Part of my MEGApicture goal was to be more green. To that end, I am going to work on the following habits (even though I am focusing on health and fitness aspects right now): reducing grocery bags and driving a one-person car.

I have a few good bags that make great grocery sacks, so I will keep them in our cars to make it easier to remember them at the store. I will also keep my eyes open for a small, light bag that would be easy to carry around with me if I need a couple of things and I'm not in a car. Re-using bags for groceries is a simple way to reduce waste. Otherwise, I choose paper over plastic because I can use them for collecting paper recycling and then take the bag and all to the recycling center.

Secondly, I am going to start a transportation "bank" where I deposit points for using non-single-person-in-a-car transportation, and deduct points for driving myself alone places or flying. I need to start after this weekend so I don't begin with a negative balance! What I've decided is that the points will break down in the following way per mile: bike +2 pts, walking +2 pts, bus +1.5 pts, carpooling +1 pt, driving alone -1 pt, flying -3 pts. I don't usually travel by train, so I'm not going to worry about it. At the end of each month, if I have any points left over I can get bonus points--for less than 10 points, I will get 10 points, and for more than 10 points I will match the points I have. If I have a negative balance, I can't plan fun driving trips even if I'm not going by myself. Recreational bike riding doesn't get points, although if I rode my bike to the ride then I can get points. For every month that I have an excess of 50 points before bonus miles, the amount over 50 points also equals the number of dollars I can save to buy fun stuff to help my commuting. This scheme is what I do in class instead of pay attention. I also have to figure out a way to make a chart for the sidebar to track my balance!

Coming soon: the link between self-discipline and perfection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home