On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

I can see it!!

The road, that is. You know, the one I'm on to self-discipline. Harhar.

Since my last post, I am a happy new homeowner! I am also now living six hours away from Dr. MM (and not in the new home).

So far, I have been sleeping in and slowly picking up around the house and getting into "tidy house" mode. Good things are that there is no soda in my house, soon the cookies will be gone, and I can work on tidy habits without another messpot edging in on me! I miss the messpot a lot though.

I was going to come here tonight and write about my little tracking program--not RDA's, but my food budget. And I am going to try to tweak my diet so that it is more environmentally friendly--so I am aiming for local and organic foods (the best I can) with little packaging. Of course, I stopped by Marla's blog first and she has been talking about organic foods and their price so I almost didn't write about it because it's too much that this is my experiment. But I had to go there first because that's my weird little pathway to this blog. I couldn't have a bookmark to my own blog, because that would make TOO MUCH SENSE. Instead I wander through four other people's blogs to get here.

So anyway. I think that I'm going to give myself a food budget of $40 a week, plus one night out. Nothing too restrictive, I don't think. I should be able to get more than enough food to feed little old me for that amount--plus, I've got some previously bought food that should see me through. If I end up with too much leeway, I can always cut back more if I see that I can. Does $40 sound exorbitant or stingy? I feel like it is a lot.

This week, I didn't do too well with the local foods but I will try to go to the green market on Saturday. What's organic I've put a star by.

Breakdown
K@sh! cereal : 4.19
Fire Roasted tomato Pasta Sauce*: 3.99
K@sh! crackers: 2.69
coconut milk (baby can): .99
hummus: 2.99
baby patty squash*: 1.36
lime*: .69
jalapeno: .03
baby spinach*: 3.49
scallions*: 1.29
yellow corn: 1.18
rice crackers*: 2.30
red lentils*: .43
oj*: 5.99
milk*: 4.99

Discounts: -.60 (for bringing my own bag), -1.83 (student)
tax: 1.04
Total: 35.81

pita: 2.29+tax= 2.36

Grand Total: 38.17

Yesterday for dinner and today for lunch, I had dal (lentil stew), rice, and pita chips. So the lentils and jalapeno are gone already. And I've got $1.83 if I need anything--hopefully I won't! Tonight, it's pasta with the sauce and maybe some of the spinach thrown in.

In addition to the food budget goal, I am going to work on a gas budget for non-trip travel. I just can't help going to visit Dr MM, so I'm not going to worry about that. Gas is 2.99/gallon today, so a full tank here would be: 44.85 (assuming I was at the dead bottom of the tank). My non-trip gas budget each month will be: $45. One tank at the current price, and if it goes up, then I'll get less gas! We have a decent transit system here, plus I have a bike, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home