On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

New goals and thinking

Well, I've had about a week off of my regular life. School is over--for good. It's time for the next step (bar review), which I am looking forward to because I will be out of the house.

I haven't had any soft drinks today, although I did have sweet tea--pretty much just as bad, but that's ok because it wasn't a soda. Baby steps back to the water. I did eat my oatmeal again for breakfast, so that's a good thing, too. Fitday is going to become a bigger part of my life again, even though I am now taking a multi-vitamin everyday on the suggestion of my healthcare provider. Other health goals to get back on track with: flossing regularly (and a dentist appointment next month), drinking water, getting enough sleep, getting enough movement.

Since school is out for good, I can focus on creating my own routines and not worry too much about homework and extracurricular activities. I'm job hunting, but I hope something will turn up soon. Whether a law job turns up soon or not, I will be earning money somewhere--just to get me out of the house and help me feel as if I am contributing. Some people are happy staying at home, but I am enough of an extrovert that I need serious interaction with multiple people each day so that I don't fall into a sad little cave of being very lonely.

Anyway, my new routines are going to include some good exercising. In July, Dr. MM and I are going to start a running program together to get us out of the house and our hearts going. He has lost probably 2 inches in his waist in less than a year by only walking up and down the stairs in our house and walking to lunch (2 blocks one way) during the workweek. His eating habits have not changed at all, and all of his pants are too big for him. I'm really glad that he's been moving more, but it will do us both good to get more intentional movement.

Next week, I start riding with the local recreational bike group on their long weekend rides. I also hope that I can start riding my bike to the grocery store nearby--or walking--and rack up some more B or FMR. This month, I am hoping that we can join the local university's rec center/gym (which will be much cheaper than anything else) and I can start going there to work on strength training.

A lot in the works! My long term goals now that my bike trip is over: I want to run a 10 mile race in 2008 (and maybe a half-marathon) and I would like to ride a century (100 miles in a day) by the end of the year. I don't think it would be too much to train for these at the same time, since they will peak at different times. It will probably be good for me. Right now, I am going to focus on taking a walk each morning before I get ready for the day--and that's it for this week! (I can do babysteps, but I prefer not to.)

That's where I am in this new phase of my life! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

BMR: 351.5
FMR: 368.98

Also, you can see that I need to do more than a mile per day for the rest of the year on both my bike and on foot. I had better hop to it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home