On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Being Thrifty

The hardest thing about this Thrifty Food Plan (TFP) is that I've been making it include all my meals and snacks. Otherwise, what's the point? Thirty dollars a week goes way farther if you don't count the restaurant meals every night, you know?

Anyway, it's hard to come home and eat what I have in the house every night. It would be much easier if I could just stop by the Mexican restaurant, or grab some lunch out. But no. I am being thrifty. Grr.

So far, so good, though. Last night I made chicken on the George and roasted potatoes in the oven. I have half of the chicken breast left over that I can eat tomorrow. Tonight I'm thinking that I will make some tilapia and a little bell pepper/red onion salsa and see what kind of beans/peas I have in the pantry. The bananas are getting ripe, and tasting a little bit grainy, so I think I will make muffins with them soon. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, these are the meals I have left:
pasta + sauce
chicken + frozen/canned veggies
tilapia + frozen/canned veggies (enough for probably 3 meals of this)
eggs to make omelets/french toast
and half a bag of little red potatoes
plus, oatmeal for breakfast.

I should be able to sail through Thursday, no problem. Although I did sort of cheat and eat a free lunch of a half a pita bread and a tiny bit of tuna salad at work. Free for me, though. Who passes up free food? Not me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home