On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Nutrition Report

Today wasn't such a bad day. There were veggies involved, even though it wasn't much. I'm lacking in the folate, niacin, vitamin e & k, magnesium, selenium, iron, and zinc categories (although only technically, because I'm taking a multivitamin now, but I still would like to get enough nutrition through my food). Sodium was 2529, which is just a tad over the 2300 that is recommended for a balanced diet. Fiber was at 18, and I try to get to 25. Saturated fat was at 10%, which is just right. All fat was less than 30%. Cholesterol was 140, and it should be under 300. 1967 on the calories front, and I think I am going to focus more on 1800 calories for now--but this is pretty low on the priority list, as usual. There is plenty of room for improvement, but it's not as bad as it could be!

I also went to MyPyramid site to help me think more about how I can balance my diet. It suggests for my height and weight and activity level (slothlike), with weight loss in mind, that I eat 1800 calories a day in the following breakdown:

Grains (6 oz total)
3 ounces of whole grains (oatmeal, X, X)
3 ounces of plain grains (1 slice of sandwich bread, 1 corn tortilla, tortilla chips) Extra tortilla chips.

Veggies (2.5 cups total)
.125 lettuce (other veggies)
.5 carrots (orange veggies)
.5 salsa (other veggies)
Total today: 1.125. Needed: 1.375 to meet goal.

Fruit (1.5 cups total)
.5 apricots
.5 orange juice
Total today: 1. Needed: .5 to meet goal.

Milk (3 cups total)
3.5 cups of 2% milk
Extra .5 cup.

Meat (5 oz total)
Ham (about 2 oz)
Nutella (about an oz)
Chicken (about 2 oz)

Extra Junk
Granola Bar
Nutella
Coke

So, cut out the extra junk, eat another couple of veggies for dinner and a whole grain and a piece of fruit. I can do that, and it would probably help in the nutrients part as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home