On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Doing Well!

I'm over 80% for all my RDA's and met my fiber goal for today. I did drink a coffee drink, which I am trying to cut back on--but I could feel myself crashing and I still needed to go to classes!

I also am proud of the fact that I went to the gym and walk/jogged for a mile at the indoor track. Deciding not to chicken out of my exercise was good for me--and that's the hardest part, making up your mind to do it, even when you know it would be nicer short-term to do something else (like go home and go to bed). Long-term, it is best to get my heart rate up for a few minutes each day and then come home and eat completely random food before crashing into bed!

It looks like I will be doing at least a mile a day for the next 6 weeks, plus spinning and/or real bike riding. And after putting my food in at the end of the day these last couple of days, I've realized that I do have time to do that along the way. Plus, I look forward to it, oddly enough, and it motivates me to actually put those few lettuce leaves in my pita. I guess it reminds me that I'm being actively healthy, which is a nice feeling to have.

It's strange what making time for yourself in a busy day will do for you! I feel SO much better this week than I have in a long time and much less overwhelmed. When I was working on my schedule yesterday, and thinking about the time I am taking off for my midterms from my internship and part-time job, I realized that I have very clear priorities. I almost never "take off" from class (usually only for other-school related activities), and I never "take off" from family commitments. However, I started thinking that there is something that needs to be a priority in my life that isn't. It's my health: physically, mentally, the whole nine yards. Apparently, I've decided that my need for sleep or exercise or being outside or having some downtime are the most optional things in my life. I don't think it should be that way, and I'm going to be more conscious about making sure I keep time for these very important things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home