On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Spinning

Well, last week I had my first two spinning classes. It's an hour of spinning at 6:05am, which really is energizing. This week, I realized that I was less hungry throughout the day after I went--but of course I ate the same amount as always. No logic there.

On Friday, I was 159.

When I first started taking spinning/studio cycling classes a few years ago it was awful. I could not stand and jog and I had to sit down a couple of times during each class for the first few weeks. Every time I start spinning again, I think about those first few classes. It's never been like that since--even after months of inactivity, I don't have those same problems. Partly I think that this is because I still have some underlying level of fitness that all the activities that I've been doing the past few years have built up. But partly I think that I know now that I can do a whole class without dying, and that I am not going to fall over and pass out. I'm always surprised at how much physical acheivement is wrapped up with mental ability.

Of course, this doesn't mean that I can go out and run a marathon today. But if I'd been training for a marathon, my mental strength in pushing me on would be the real fuel in the race.

This weekend has been very nice, just relaxing up here with Dr. MM. The weather is gorgeous!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:27 AM, Blogger Amazon Alanna said…

    I have the same experience whenever I get back into spinning. It never hurts like it did the first few times I ever went...even when I took 8 months off. Even my bum didn't hurt as much.

    I think you're right about the underlying fitness thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home