On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Arg!

I went to the park near our house to walk, like I said I would. Did I walk at the park? No. Usually, it is hard to find parking at the park at busy times like weekends, but this afternoon there was a wedding! Arg! It was very frustrating to have driven somewhere especially to walk, and then have no where to park. Really, it just made me annoyed with myself because I can walk out the door of my house and walk, but instead I chose to burn some more gas to go somewhere to walk.

Anyway, I decided that I was just going to park at the place I wanted to get dinner from and walk around there for 30 minutes. Which I did! I was very proud of myself, because sometimes it is hard to go exploring by yourself--or at least it is for me. I walked up the street a little ways and crossed onto campus. It was great! Really, stepping onto campus was almost like walking through a park because the trees basically sealed me off from the busy street and it's summer so about the only people there are kids at various camps. Looks like basketball camp this week. I had a nice time, strolling through campus, and I walked for just over 30 minutes, roundtrip. It was a nice time of day for walking, and I liked seeing things from a different perspective. Walking gives you a better perspective of how places fit together, I think, and connects you more strongly with a location.

I'll have to estimate how far I walked, but I think about 1.2 will do it. Technically, I could have walked 2 miles in 30 minutes, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't up to that speed!

BMR: 343.5
FMR: 351.85

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home