On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Friday, November 16, 2007

Weight and Measures

Starting:
W: 159
M: 41-34.5-41

Today:
W: 156
M: 40-34-40?

I think my hip measurement was the same as my bust, but at this very moment I am not sure what it was exactly. Oh well, close enough! It is also Day 47 of my 9# weight loss attempt (such that it is).

Right now, I am having an ice cream struggle. Ice cream is how I put on these extra pounds from earlier in the summer. Eating a pint of ice cream every day or every other day can rack them up! I gained about six pounds. Ok, it wasn't all ice cream. It was also taquitos with sour cream. Those are my stress foods!!

Silly me. Anyway, B&J's ice cream was on sale this past week, and I bought 3 pints for $10 because I had actually planned for ice cream to be our [my] sweet dessert for a week. I ate one pint in two days. Dr. MM also had a pint of his favorite ice cream. He eats about three bites at a time, and then he's ok with putting it back in the freezer and not wanting it for a while. I've started eating the second pint, but realized that I do not need to eat two pints of ice cream this week! (What a concept.) So until Sunday, I am ice cream free. It is really hard, and I have had to tell Dr. MM that when I ask him if I can have ice cream, he should say no.

Ok, have to explain that one. Dr. MM does not normally give me permission to eat things like dinner, breakfast, lunch, etc. But, when I want something that I know I shouldn't really have--extra ice cream, a coke at midnight, etc.--then I ask him if it's ok. He almost always says yes, because he doesn't have food issues and he also spoils me so he likes me to have whatever I want. And because he thinks it is bizarre to ask him a question like this. It's really a way for me to pass the blame (what blame there is) off to someone else--He Said I Could!! I am not responsible for my bad choices because someone else allowed me to do it. It's a little screwed up, now that I think it out loud.

Anyway, I'm pretty good on my own about not eating it when I am by myself during the day. But I want dessert after dinner! So, I ask him and he says no. (Good Dr. MM.) In fact, he tells me to eat more of the butternut squash on my plate because it is sweet. What is he, some kind of tyrant?? Raarrrr. I rebel against this system I have created and enforced! (Lord, I'm a nut.)

After this, I am going to have to think more about when I want to have ice cream in general. It can't be an every month treat, so when does it make sense for it to be around? Not in the winter, when it's cold. Definitely as part of summery celebrations, but maybe not outside of them.

This really ties into my recent thinking about normal life and treats. Personally, I have more than enough of everything I need. For most things, I am at the point where any new items or experiences are not appreciated the way that they should be because they have to compete with the abundance that I already have. I don't like living this way--ungrateful and unappreciative, unable to see accurately the value of things and experiences. Especially when some of the abundance is junk. I've been trying to pare down my things and experiences so that I am able to appreciate more good and joy in everyday life. Ice cream is marvelous, but not when you have a pint everyday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home