On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Monday, November 05, 2007

Day 36 of 9#

I have always been fascinated with what motivates people. What makes someone get started on a project and follow through? What keeps them going?

Last night I watched The Am@zing R@ce. It never fails to inspire me, and make me laugh, and make me wonder about how women and men interact. Last night was the first episode in the new season, and my favorite part involved the donkeys. Having grown up on a farm, I always get a kick out of the episodes that involve animals because so many people seem to have no clue how to interact with them. I think that is stunning, because it is only recently that a person could get to adulthood without being involved with animals as food or transportation on a daily basis.

On the women in society issue, there are two teams of beautiful women who admit that they will use their looks to get ahead. Ok. One team even says that they have the beauty of women combined with the competitiveness and aggressiveness of men. Whatever. I am also always, always shocked at how people in dating/marriage relationships interact. People talk hatefully to their partners, put them down (not teasing), blame them, and just generally present a great image of verbal abuse. Also, last night, a woman was convinced they were going the wrong way, but her male partner basically ignored her--and, yes, they were going the wrong way. That has happened to me sometimes with Dr. MM, and it is very frustrating. The ignoring, not the hateful talk. I can honestly say that he has never spoken to me the way some of the men speak to their girlfriends/wives on that show, and I think he would say the same about me.

Anyway, I love this show. Some people are inspired by The Biggest L0ser, but losing weight for its own sake does nothing for me (apparently). Good for them, but it doesn't make me want to change my behavior. Watching TAR does--those people have to be able to keep running, biking, walking, stretching themselves physically. That is what I want--the ability to keep on going and doing something that is bigger than life! Ninj@ W@rrior does this too, in some ways--it comes on some game channel, and shows people with great upper and core strength. Last night after TAR, I went immediately to the exercise on-demand channel and did 10 minutes of ab work--OMG, death! Haha. And this morning I got up and got outside for my walking--14.5 minutes per mile, and I jogged almost half of it.

Now that I know TAR is good for me, I am going to make sure to watch it every week. And I will be on the lookout for other things that make me feel this way. Trapeze performances and ballroom dancing shows always did the same, so maybe I can find some kind of performance this month to continue to inspire me. Perhaps if I can keep inspiring events at a regular pace in my life, I can continue to push myself for the long haul.

BMR: 343.5
FMR: 287

2 Comments:

  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger M@rla said…

    I've never watched TAM, because I usually hate all those reality/contest shows, but maybe I will give it a try. I know what you mean about the way people relate to each other. For me, it was watching "I Love Lucy" and shows from that era. The couples were always adversaries, it was always the men against the women, and it just looked hateful. I always swore I'd never get married! And I wouldn't have, if that's the way it had to be.

    I think a lot of people get married because of sexual attraction, and then discover they don't like each other. And this may be a sexist thing to say, but I think a lot of men just plain don't like women. They like to f*** them, yes, but they don't like them as human beings. I suppose the reverse it true too.

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    Well, part of my love of TAR is that they are traveling and I love being on the go like that. But I have to say it is more fascinating than most reality shows because it isn't just a group of strangers.

    You know, I think that what you describe about men and women is a big part of dating--you don't have to like someone to go out on a date with them and engage in a lot of physical interaction. (Or at least that is how it seems.) Then, if you let inertia just carry you along, the next step is marriage--to someone that you don't necessarily like. I think it is a strange way of going about life--not a lot of self-examination or self-determination. Maybe that is how it always is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home