On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Recipe

The other day, Renee had a post about raisins that mentioned carrot and raisin salad. I make carrot salad/slaw in the summer all the time. It's an easy way to eat a good serving of carrots, plus it's very sweet. When I started making this, it was just carrots, raisins, and enough mayo to get a little coating on everything. But a couple of years ago, I tried a beet and carrot salad that had a delicious sweet and spicy dressing and now I use that. (I don't really like beets, so the beet and carrot salad has not been a repeat.) I just use the ingredients to taste, but it ends up tasting a lot fresher than the mayo version.

It's adapted from an Everyday Food recipe--issue 15, pg 123. Last night, I used the juice of one lemon, about a tablespoon of honey, about a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, a dash of cinnamon, a dash of cayenne, and a dash of cumin, and a pinch of salt. Whisk it all together and taste--add more of what you want to taste. That was enough for about four grated carrots. Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison also has a similar Lime-Cumin dressing that she reccommends for shredded carrot salads.

Just an alternative to mayo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home