On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Zinc

I've decided to write a post about each nutrient that is tracked on fitday, plus fiber, the different kinds of fats, protein, and carbs. Sort of like my own little nutrition class--and this is mostly for myself so I will be able to stop googling the same things over and over (and OVER!) again. I wanted to start with the ones that are hardest for me to work into my diet so that I will think about them more.

Zinc is a mineral that promotes a healthy immune system and the senses of taste and smell. It is important for pregnant women and children to have because it helps with proper growth and development.

Oysters are very high in zinc and can meet 100% of your RDA. Fortified breakfast cereals also can contain high amounts of zinc. Red meat and chicken are other good sources. Apparently, it is harder to absorb zinc from vegetable sources, but non-meat sources of zinc are baked beans, yogurt, and nuts.

Tonight I'm going to see if I can't find something with lean red meat in it for dinner.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger t. said…

    wow... i had not even started tracking Zinc yet. and apparently to a vegie like me little options are available! Thank you for the explanation: I gotta start tracking nutrients better!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home