On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Hmmm.

I didn't realize that I'd fallen off the wagon for so long. Today, W: 159 and M: 41, 34.5, 40.5. Hmm, except for the top, I'm the same size that I was when I was four pounds lighter. Interesting.

Life is very, very busy. As usual. I'm un-motivated to work on this blog or fitday. I'm tired all the time. I'm lonely. I'm sick of school, of papers, of quizzes and exams. My house is a wreck. I just want to go live in the woods.

But, the weather is gorgeous this weekend! And I've been spending some time outside each weekend--yesterday it was hiking 8 miles in the mountains, last week I was on my bike for 15 beautiful miles, etc. And I'm an aunt now!

So, lots of conflicting feelings. I'm just ready for this semester to end. Next semester will be better, I hope. I've decided in January to begin training for a 10 mile race for 2008. Over winter break, I'll figure out the details.

I'm still doing well in many ways: I have still not had any soda for weeks, and tv is nonexistant. I'm eating decently. I appear to have lost all interest in potato chips as a food group, which is fascinating to me. The last time I had a bag of my favorite potato chips, I ate gobs of them several times a day. It's been a few months, and I bought them again this week. Now I can barely enjoy a handful before I get tired of them! Meh. I don't know what that's about, but it's nice.

I always think it's interesting, those articles that say "If you just cut X out, then by the end of a year you'll have lost 10 pounds!" Well, if it were that simple, anyone could stop drinking soda, etc. For example, I have not had a soda in about 3 months (I think). When I used to drink soda, I drank at least two a day. So that's 25200 calories that I've cut out--over 7 pounds (of fat)! But I haven't lost 7 pounds, in fact I'm at about the same weight as when I stopped drinking soda. Either I've slowed down my activity to compensate for the lack of extra energy, or I've added enough other food to make up for that (like, um, expensive coffee drinks). Maybe if things had stayed exactly the same, and I cut out soda, I might have lost seven pounds. But, I don't think that's a realistic expectation for people. No one stays exactly the same for long amounts of time. And if the only focus is cutting out X (or adding X) to your life, without paying any attention to the rest of your life then that could be frustrating when one doesn't see the results that were predicted. That's my random conversation for the day. I also should note that I didn't cut sodas out because I expected to lose X amount of weight, but because they are pure junk food with tiny amounts of nutritional value (if any). I'm probably healthier without so much jerking my blood sugar around and with less caffeine in my life.

Anywho!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Tigerlilly said…

    hey.. thanks for the note. The boobs are always the first to go on me... not fair really. Those I would'nt mind keeping LOL. Congrats on not drinking soda... woohoo.. that is a major accomplishment. Good luck ... I'll drop in again soon!!

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger M@rla said…

    Yeah, I think those suggestions about just cutting out such-and-such are BS. It just doesn't work that directly, that much of a one-to-one relationship. Otherwise if you ate a single extra cracker (or whatever) every day, you'd gain ten pounds a year. Obviously that doesn't happen; all the calories one consumes don't necessarily STAY with one.

    In a broader sense it's not bad advice, but one has to take it further - cut out the soda AND the mayo AND the butter AND the candy bar, etc.

    But anyway, congrats on kicking soda's ass.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home