On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ouch

My poor arms! My poor abs! Owie!

I'm not even doing a lot of exercise, and definitely not what I think is enough--at the end of the reps, I could still do a few more even though I want to quit. Right now, I'll stay where I am because I want to get used to doing this, but in a couple of weeks I'll have to start pushing a little harder.

I didn't do Pilates tonight. But I decided to try some plank leg-lifts, or so I thought. First, says a.m. to herself, we'll hold the plank for. . .say 2 minutes, and then we'll do the lifts. Ha! I did hold the plank for 2 whole minutes, but that's just out of pure meanness and spite. I will not let the timer beat me! Of course, after that I couldn't do the leg lifts. So I've decided that I will do the leg lifts before my upper body work and then just do the plank by itself at the end. It would be marvelous if I could hold the plank for 5 minutes! That's another new goal, but I can tell it will take some practice.

Last semester, I had such good intentions of exercising, but it just never happened. This semester, I've exercised so much so far! (Ok, so it's only a week or two into the semester, but that's more than I did all last semester just about.) I've exercised every day this week! And I made little charts for my 1000 mile challenge, because, like Marla, I am strangely motivated by charts. This semester is so much less stressful--surprising what one less class and one less part time job will do! Now I just have 10 hours of class and only one part-time job (12 hours), so instead of working about 60 hours of non-household work (around about what last semester was like), I am only up for a little over 30 hours of non-household work! No wonder this semester seems so much better, and I have time to (go grocery shopping, make my own dinner, do laundry, pay bills on time, go to church meetings) exercise.

On the other hand, eating has not been going so well. I'm just not eating enough, and not eating enough vitamin-rich food. Part of that is I am out of fortified cereal again, and part of that is that I have strange lunch habits. I only want to take food that does not have to be refrigerated or reheated, and I don't like sandwiches very much. Plus, I have been out of containers so it all had to be ok to eat out of ziplock bags. So today for lunch I had cheese and crackers, baby carrots, and an apple (although I ate the apple an hour later). Yesterday, I had cheese, crackers, baby carrots, and dates. By the time I leave work, I am starving! Plus, I can't eat too much on T and R after work because of spinning (another reason I might have had a bad night yesterday). Peanut butter is definitely getting in my cart next week, and maybe some graham crackers or some kind of yummy peanut butter vehicle. Not celery, because it is disgusting.

On the resolution front, I've done pretty well. I had two small pieces of dark chocolate the other day, and then two small cookies tonight (but it was outside the house, so that's sort of like dessert). Not shabby. I have not brought home any sweets, which is a good move on my part.

In random news, I have eaten over 2 pounds of salsa in less than a week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home