On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Cutting sodium out

In the past week, my average sodium intake has been a little over 2600 mg. Since the average American's diet is 3000-5000 mg a day, I'm doing ok. But, the NIH suggests that 2400 mg daily is the max that we should consume--it's not good for the blood pressure or kidneys. I've found this to be almost impossible, even with only eating one of my salty foods a day.

How can I cut 300 more mgs out? I don't eat many canned foods, but when I do (pasta sauce) I pick the lowest/no sodium variety. I don't put very much salt into the food that I make, although I could cut it out in my oatmeal and pasta (although I wouldn't be able to show this in fitday). I guess I have been eating a lot of tortilla chips and cheese recently, and I should look for alternatives. Maybe different types of chips have different levels of sodium. And I can compare yogurt to cheese I guess.

Part of this may just be that fitday assumes that I put more salt onto foods than I do, although I could be more careful about that in real life as well.

More fresh veggies and fruit is the answer I guess. Less Nutella (which I suspect is better than fitday lets on, because hazelnuts have to have some nutrients in them). Grocery store trip is Saturday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home