On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Thoughts on RDA's

Since I've been back in town and after my giant shopping trip where I only bought my favorite wonder foods, I've been very good about tracking my food and planning out what I want to eat. Mostly this doesn't take too long because I want everything that I have around. So I just throw some spinach on a plate, make a lemon/olive oil vinaigrette, and figure out what kind of protein is hanging around. And some leftover crusty bread, yum. After that, I know that I will need some kind of snackish dessert to get me through the day so I grab some nuts and dried fruit. My RDA's are showing up pretty well--some of the usual suspects like zinc are hard to come by, but I just need to add some beans to my diet. I'm also having trouble with keeping my sodium levels below 2400, but that is because I have some high-salt snacks that I've been eating. I have decided to limit those from now on, so that I only have one of them a day.

I really love tracking RDA's. It's a challenge in giving yourself the right food, instead of restricting yourself. (Of course, I do try to keep my fat percentage under 30% and sodium under 2400 mg.) I've learned a lot about foods since I started this, and I know more about why I need some kinds of food. When I first started this last year, I lost weight as well just by giving myself what my body needs to be healthy. I do try to take note of when my calories rise above 2300, but other than that I'm not overly concerned with any calorie limit. I think it's a good system, but you have to be able to shop for healthy foods and plan a little. It doesn't take too much cooking time, I've made pasta and quesadillas this week but other than that I haven't turned on the stove much.

One thing that I have become more aware of since I started thinking about RDA's is the food that contributes nothing to my wellbeing. Sodas are some of them. They don't provide anything much but calories, and you can get caffeine from coffee or tea that also might have some health benefits. It is much easier to get rid of junk when you can see it for what it really is. Plus, it is easier to eat what people think of as "bad" foods when you know the good they provide--nuts are high calorie, but they are chock full of nutrients. I hate the idea of spinach salad, but I know how good it is for me (plus, I like to eat it, I just don't like to think of eating it--weird) so I can have it for lunch.

Just some recommitting thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home