On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

My Hero

Fitday, my hero. Ok, after being all demotivated after thinking about calorie restriction, I decided to play around and see if I could hit two birds with one stone. In other words, could I get my nutrients in (most over 50% RDA-wise) and still be at about 1700 calories. And, most importantly, not eat a ton of nasty diet food.

I don't like fat-free anything, although I will tolerate low-fat--and I don't do artificial sweeteners. And packaged food is not really my cup of tea, either. Which means that a lot of the tools that other weight loss bloggers use are pretty much out--no Le@n Cuisines for me, thank you very much.

The surprise is that I can do pretty well--the only thing that is knocking about in my calculations is iron (80%) and sodium (way, way too high). Everything else looks like I could manage it, and that I would possibly be tired of eating if I had to eat everything I scheduled.

Here is what my menu would look like:

Breakfast
Oatmeal, made with milk, and dried apricots.

Lunch
Turkey with swiss on wheat
crackers with hummus
spinach salad with roasted red peppers and black olives, lemon juice dressing
baby carrots
almonds
banana
(Note: I could never eat this much for lunch.)

Snack
cottage cheese with frozen raspberries

Dinner
Broiled cod
corn on the cob
1/2 sweetpotato with brown sugar
brussel sprouts
a pat of butter to share between veggies

Dessert
fat-free kettle korn
mug of milk

Ok, I didn't put the servings with them, but it would be what I think of as workable servings (half an ounce of almonds, 3 oz of turkey, etc.). I would be completely stuffed and probably wouldn't want either the snack or the dessert. Or the carrots, but I don't like carrots anyway. It always surprises me how much you can eat of veggies. When I first started nutrition tracking, I did have some lunches where I could not eat more than half of my lunch.

The thing is, that if I were exercising regularly, I probably could put that away much easier.

So, this might be do-able, but I will have to do some major menu-planning. So if my fitday looks as if I became superwoman and ate ridiculously well today, just know that this is me fiddling around with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home