On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

W/M and update

On Friday, I weighed in and today I measured, which brings us to:

W: 159
M: 41-34.5-41

I am still working on my goals, but I am having the most trouble with eating my cup of green veggies and reading my devotions (of all things). Yesterday, Dr. MM and I went for a nice, brisk walk at a nearby park before eating Mexican food. OMG. I ate so, so much--or at least it felt like it. Really, I had a lot of chips and salsa, two large glasses of soda, about a fourth a cup of refried beans and the same amount of rice, and two chicken enchiladas. Not a horribly huge amount of food, I guess, but much more than I usually eat at a time.

We've decided that I'm not making enough food for our dinners usually, which is probably true. After a week of feeling just not right, I am usually dying for a really good meal that fills me up (and that I don't have to make). So, we are going to add another veggie to our meals, to get us up to three kinds instead of two. (We're a meat and two type of family.) Then maybe we won't feel the need to pick at snacks after dinner because we will be satisfied already.

Also, I am sick of being this weight/size. Actually, I'm just annoyed that my clothes don't fit as well as they did earlier this summer. Most of the time, I don't focus on changing my weight here because I would rather eat healthy foods and do fun, active things and let weight take care of itself. If it does. I do think that those things are more important than any arbitrary number on a scale, and that if I eat well and exercise then I can be happy and enjoy life. But this week, I have been annoyed at the four bulgy pounds at my waist. Grr.

So, I'm going to step it up a notch. I am going to focus on increasing my exercise, because a) I need to be better about that anyway and b) I don't like to mess with my food! Ha. And because I prefer to track vitamins and fiber instead of calories anyway. After all, I don't really know what calorie goal I should be aiming for anyway--2000 seems to be too much, everyone (on the internets) seems to say that 1200 is too low. This dieting calculator seems to suggest that if I wanted to lose 9 pounds, then I could only eat 1476 calories a day, but that is taking all 500 theoretical weight-loss calories from diet instead of diet + exercise. So. If I give myself 250 more calories, I get 1726. Which I think is not too low or too high (in my loosey-goosey Feelings, which is undeniably accurate).

The thing is that I don't care enough about making myself eat 1726 calories. As I wrote that paragraph, I became bored with the entire idea of focusing on eating less. Why? I think that it is because I will have nothing to show for it. When you can run a certain distance, you can participate in a race--where you can get a free t-shirt! Or you can ride your bike on a trip, and have pictures! Or do something with other people and have memories. You can't have memories of eating 1726 calories. Yes, technically, I will have weight loss to show for it, but what can you really DO with weight loss? Not much. Yes, some people can do more after weight loss, but I'm in the vanity weight-loss category. I'm just doing it to improve the fit of my clothes, and maybe the way I look in pictures--both things that I think are dumb reasons to change your body.

So now that I've demotivated myself, I think I will go get ready for my day! Ha! No, really, I would like to lose nine pounds by the end of the year, so I will focus on running a little bit more, getting my bike out of storage, and eating another serving of veggies for dinner. Or something.

BMR: 343.5
FMR: 321.27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home