On the Road

My "travel journal" on the road to self-discipline.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Day 9 of 9#

It seems that I am always surprised that actual planning means something more than resolving to do something. Resolving to walk/run 14 miles this week just means that I pledge to do it, I think about it. Planning is more than just thinking about that, it means that I make sure that I have clean clothes to wear to do those things, that I eat enough to make it pleasant, that I set the alarm early enough to get out when I like to walk, that I write the email to my running partner, etc. I have to do something more than just put my clothes on and get out the door.

That is probably a common theme of all my entries here, and maybe that is what this blogging experience is supposed to teach me: in order to make a change in your life, you have to be willing to take action to support that change. It isn't enough to say that I will eat more green veggies. I have to actually go to the store and buy green veggies that I enjoy eating. That sounds simple, and it is for little things. The hard part is breaking the big things (I will live a healthy lifestyle) down into the little things that you can do.

This morning, I didn't have any clean workout clothes. None. It's laundry time, and I hadn't bothered to do it yet. So I didn't get up and walk today, which meant that it was pretty likely that I wouldn't do it at all. I almost didn't. But, after I got the first load that contained workout clothes out of the dryer, I thought--why not walk this evening? I want to meet my walking goal, and I want to get rid of these 9 pounds (7 remaining). So, I got ready and went. There were more bugs, people, and dogs than I usually see, but it was a good walk. I stupidly recorded a podcast that I had already heard part of yesterday, which was slightly annoying, but it wasn't the end of the world. Soon I may add more mileage to my route because I was just starting to feel really good at the end. Maybe tomorrow I will make a loop instead of just out and back!

Also, I think that the food has evened out some. I'm no longer ravenous, but still getting hungry around meal times and in the afternoon (snacktime). That is acceptable, and I'm still eating regular amounts of food. In other words, I don't feel as if 1700 calories is restrictive. Of course, I'm still planning my food out ahead of time, so when I get hungry I know what I can have. That helps so much. I am thinking about looking at weekly averages for my nutrition to give me a bigger picture, and because I think that might be more meaningful in the long run.

BMR: 343.5
FMR: 307.27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home